Thursday, August 23, 2007

Retailers encourage credit card fraud

Went to a really huge bookstore today, looked for the reference section. It wasn't on the 1st floor so I went to the second. I Stood near the top of the stairs and scanned the area looking for some clue that might direct me to the reference area. Not in sight. With enough browsing I finally found the sign I was looking for. Conveniently placed almost directly behind a large column between the top of the steps and the reference section. I figure this was a good way for them to cause me to walk aimlessly around the store looking at everything I didn't come in here for. Possibly that I might find something else to purchase in addition to what I came for in the 1st place. Yes, a convenient marketing conspiracy.

Back to the subject. Scratching and clawing my way away from the digression.

I found my book. A German-English English-German translation dictionary. You know, because I might belong to some German mafia of sorts and need to be able to get along here in an English speaking country whilst fraudulently using someone else's credit cards to purchase the thing that's going to allow me to fool the ditsy cashier.

Back down to the 1st floor to make the purchase.

The cashier asked if I had found everything I was looking for. I replied, "yes". She rung it up and said, "That will be $21.95". I handed her a credit card. She took it, swiped it, and handed it back. She didn't look at it at all. Not the front, not the back. A few seconds later the paperwork printed. I reached for a pen to sign it. Nope, didn't need to. I must have had a slightly confused look on my face because she immediately said, "You don't need to sign anything if it's under $25.00". I said,"Oh". She then asks if I need a bag.(what is it she's selling here?,dammit, more digression). I said, "no, not as long as they let me out the door without one."

Maybe I shouldn't have posted this huh? maybe I should have just gone to McDonalds to get some food, Then gone to 3 different gas stations, charged $24.99 each and filled my tanks, Then hit the mall for some clothing at about 4 different stores. A 24.00 shirt here, a 15.00 hat there. Pack or 3 of underwear someplace else. Hey, maybe a burger and a couple beers too. I'd stop at a couple kiosks on the way out. Some stupid jewelry at one and a new case for my cell phone at another.

Then I'd just go home and wait for the bill to come in. When there's no proof that I actually ever purchased these things because I never signed for them, no keyed-in security code or, well, didn't have to prove anything at all I'd just call the credit card company and tell them I never bought this shit. If they say "yes I did" then I'll ask them to send me a copy of the proof, anything. That I'd like to see my signature on these purchases. They won't be able to and they'll have to forgive the debt.

If I were a thief that is.

Next time I get a credit card in I'm just going to sign it on the back as "Please ask for I.D.". I wonder how much free stuff I can get from the store when they don't and the manager tries to keep me from getting too loud about it at the register and alerting all the other customers about their security issues.


++Tormen Tagain++


.

No comments: